Podcast: Download (46.6MB)
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
Freedom from/Freedom to: Freed to Love – Special Whole Group Session.mp3
References used: II Tim. 3:1-9
- The comparison between Jesus and Timothy in how they dealt with grief and sorrow. We also saw how Paul’s encouragement toward Timothy pulled him out of this state the same way Jesus came out of His.
- What defines our value.
- The difficulty of knowing academically who I am, but still not believing beyond the image in the mirror.
- How true spiritual growth is measured.
- Being a witness by simply living out of our union with Christ anywhere and everywhere we are is to spread the fragrance of God and His grace everywhere we go. Influencing others by our connection with God.
- The way we compare ourselves among ourselves – the best of another against the worst of us.
- “For we dare not class ourselves or compare ourselves with those who commend themselves. But they, measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.” – 2 Cor. 10:12
- What is the difference in the focus between Deut. 30:6 and 2 Thess. 3:5.
- One is God changing our hearts and the other is God’s directing our hearts.
- One if convincing you of God’s love for you, the other is freeing your heart to love Him.
- True agape love and what it looks like.
- Jesus asked Peter if he had agape love for him following the resurrection while walking on the beach,
“Then when they had breakfasted, Jesus says to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, do you have a love for me called out of your heart by my preciousness to you, a devotional love that impels you to sacrifice yourself for me? Do you consider me more precious and thus love me more than these ? He says to Him, Yes, Lord, as for you, you know positively that I have an emotional fondness for you.” Jn. 21:15,16
- You cannot agape until you have FREELY received it FROM the SOURCE of all AGAPE – our heavenly Father. – I Jn. 4:19.
- You can only give from what you have received.
Doris read to us a quote our from Andrew Murray’s book, The True Vine which beautifully illustrates our dependance upon Him as our source of love and all good things.
“There is the lesson of absolute dependence. The vine has its stores of life and sap and strength, not for itself, but for the branches. The branches are and have nothing but what the vine provides and imparts. The believer is called to, and it is his highest blessedness to enter upon, a life of entire and unceasing dependence upon Christ. Day and night, every moment, Christ is to work in him all he needs. And then the lesson of undoubting confidence. The branch has no cure; the vine provides all; it has but to yield itself and receive. It is the sight of this truth that leads to the blessed rest of faith, the true secret of growth and strength: “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. What a life would come to us if we only consented to be branches! Dear child of God, learn the lesson. You have but one thing to do: Only be a branch–nothing more, nothing less! Just be a branch; Christ will be the Vine that gives all. And the Husbandman, the mighty God, who made the Vine what it is, will as surely make the branch what it ought to be.”
We ended with the following song from Jason Gray which illustrated one of the three points we have listed as the ways in which our freedom to love can be expressed.
- In believing what God has said and not wallowing in the mud of our old self-identity any longer.
- Spending ourselves on others. – Phil. 2:1-18
- Forgiving our brother.
The specific point this song helps to illustrate is point #2 and reminds me of the example Kathy gave us of just being there for a friend in distress. It seemed empty to her because she had no answers to give, but the answer she gave was the love of a silent friend who was simply there…
Here is the link to the “studio” version of the song – LINK
Here is another song we sang on Sunday which is just awesomely in step with where we are and where we are headed. it is called, A Better Way to Live by Jason Gray. Thank you Jesus for artists who are living it and can sing from experience. Please support – JasonGrayMusic.com