Message – Let My People Go
Series: Thru the Bible – Exodus 4-11
Podcast: Download (51.1MB)
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Spotify | RSS
Let My People Go!
- Moses makes excuse of being ineloquent
- God asks, “Who made man’s mouth or Who makes the mute, deaf & blind?”
- This can be understood two ways:
- God is the One Who made them this way for His purposes in order to do His work THROUGH them without reliance upon their ability.
- God is the One Who changes the mute, deaf & blind and will aid you in your in-eloquence of speech.
- Regardless of how you take it, God aids the mute, deaf, blind and ineloquent.
- This can be understood two ways:
- God gives Moses signs to perform before Pharaoh.
- God get’s angry with Moses because of his continual avoidance.
- God tells Moses that Aaron will be his mouth piece (prophet) and he will be as God to Aaron.
- God say’s Aaron is coming out to him, but he does not arrive for many days (vs. 27, “And the LORD said to Aaron, “Go into the wilderness to meet Moses.” So he went and met him on the mountain of God, and kissed him.”)
- God calls Israel His “firstborn”.
- God seizes Moses intending to kill him, until his wife circumcises their son Eliezer.
- The particulars about this are not written, but obvious none-the-less. Zipporah< Moses’ wife, clearly did not like the idea that Moses had circumcised their first son Gershom.
- Her disdain for the practice is evidenced by two things:
- The fact that even though Moses knew it was required of him as a Jew – he had allowed his wife’s objections to restrain his hand from obeying God
- She almost resented saving Moses’ life by quickly obeying this command of God, accusing Moses of being a “husband of blood to her”.
- Whether this came to a head here and now because of God’s impending call upon Moses or because of discussion between Moses and his wife – cannot be known, but in either case it CLEARLY demanded the action of God.
- Aaron comes to see Moses by God’s instruction.
- Moses tells Aaron the plan and they go to the Elders of Israel and tell them and perform the miracles before them and they believe & worship.
- Pharaoh is confronted
- Israel is punished as idle
- The Israelite “foremen” appealed to Pharaoh and were scoulded
- The foremen blame Moses and Aaron
- Moses questions God
- God reassures Moses
- God reveals Himself as Jehovah (the most holy name of God in the Jewish faith)
- God tells Moses to reassure His people
- The Israelites do not listen
- Moses tells on them
- God tells them to charge both Israel & Pharaoh about their impending departure.
- Genealogy – Levi being the most important (Gershon, Kohath & Merari)
- God tells Moses to go before Pharaoh again and Moses asked “how can I and how will Pharaoh obey me?”
- God makes Moses like God to Pharaoh and Aaron as his prophet
- God say’s he will harden Pharaoh’s heart.
- When this began Moses was 80 and Aaron was 83.
- Moses and Pharaoh’s magician’s have a face off.
- Pharaoh’s heart is hardened.
- Plagues begin…
- Water to blood (repeated by Egyptian magicians)
- Plagues continue 2-4
- Second is Frogs
- Third is Gnats or Lice
- Fourth is harmful and hurtful flies
- Pharaoh attempts to bargain by encouraging them to sacrifice to their god here in Egypt.
- Moses refuses saying it would be an abomination but that they had to go at least 3 days journey into the wilderness.
- Pharaoh agrees to let them go – but not far away – now “intercede for me”
- Moses agrees to intercede but warns Pharaoh not to deal deceitfully anymore.
- Pharaoh hardens his heart.
- Plagues continue 5-7
- Fifth is livestock die
- Sixth is Boils
- Seventh is Hail
- God informs Pharaoh that it was in fact for this very purpose that God placed him in power over Egypt – to show His power in him and cause His name to be declared around the world.
- God accuses Pharoah of exalting HIMSELF against the Israelites in not letting them go.
- God shows mercy in warning them to bring in both cattle and people from the fields to lessen the impact of the plague.
- Pharaoh admits to wickedness and sin, asks them to intercede for them and ask God to relent and promises to let them go.
- Moses plays the part of God to Pharaoh and stop the plague by spreading out his hands to the Lord to cause the plague to cease, but tells Pharaoh that he knows that he does not yet truly fear God and will not let them go.
- God tells Moses to go in and do more so that future generations will have something to hear about concerning the mighty deliverance of their God.
- Moses asks Pharaoh how long will he refuse to humble himself before God and let his people go?
- At this point even Pharaoh’s servants are imploring him to wake up and realize that Egypt is already destroyed – just let them go!
- Pharaoh calls them back in and asks who would go if he let them.
- Moses replied – EVERYONE
- At first Pharaoh tells them to go – them and their god with bitter and disrespectful words.
- Then he accuses them of evil intent and says that only the men may go and with that commanded them out of his presence.
- God has Moses respond by sending the Eighth plague of Locusts.
- In haste Pharaoh calls for Moses and Aaron again – admitting sin and this time asking for forgiveness.
- God removes the plague and hardens Pharaoh’s heart so that he did not let them go.
- God sends the Ninth plague of darkness
- Pharaoh tries to bargain and offers to allow the children to go if only the livestock remain.
- Moses says, “not even one hoof will be left behind”
- God hardens Pharaoh’s heart and he does not let them go and threatens them to never come before him again.
- Moses says, “You have spoken well because I will in fact never have to look at your face again.”
- The announcement of the tenth and final plague – death of the firstborne
- God tells Moses that they will ask you to leave and Pharaoh will practically push you out of Egypt this time!
- God gives command to His people through Moses to tell his people to borrow gold, silver, jewelry and such from the Egyptians.
- God caused them to be pitied by them – Ps. 106:46
- Moses was very great in the eyes of all the people
- Moses makes a public declaration of the plague and that the next day all his servants would be bowing down to him and asking them to leave.
- Pharaoh’s heart is further hardened by God and he does not let them go.
The hardening of Pharaoh is both his own work and the work of God.
Several commentators say that the hardening of Pharaoh’s heart is mentioned 20x’s
- 10 attributed to Pharaoh himself.
- 10 attributed to God.
As I looked up the words hard, harden, hardened I only came up with 13x’s in total.
- 7 attributed to Pharaoh himself.
- 6 attributed to God.
- Exodus 7:13 (Sign of serpents) – grew hard
- Exodus 7:22 (Waters to blood copied by magicians) – grew hard
- Exodus 8:15 (Saw relief from frogs) – he hardened his heart
- Exodus 8:19 (Magicians couldn’t make lice) – grew hard
- Finger of God revealed.
- Exodus 8:32 (After flies left) – hardened his heart at this time also
- Difference made between Israelites and Egyptians
- Exodus 9:7 (Livestock) – became hard
- Pharaoh checked to make sure only his land was affected.
- Exodus 9:12 The LORD hardened the heart of Pharaoh
- Exodus 9:34 – he hardened his heart
- Exodus 10:1 “I have hardened his heart and the hearts of his servants”
- Exodus 10:20 “…the LORD hardened Pharaoh’s heart”
- Exodus 10:27 “…the LORD hardened Pharaoh’s heart”
- Exodus 11:10 “…the LORD hardened Pharaoh’s heart”
- Exodus 14:8 “…and the LORD hardened the heart of Pharaoh king of Egypt”
There is more information in the audio/video of the actual message. I hope you listen, learn and enjoy!
I hope this teaching will challenge you and encourage you to place your trust in the Lord Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.
You have a special place in God’s family & kingdom. If you do not know Him, please use our ‘Contact Us‘ page and reach out so we may have the privilege of introducing you to the Lord. Neither money nor attendance at our church will be mentioned.
If you have been spiritually fed by this ministry and wish to give, we truly appreciate that and you may do so here, but all outreaches of this ministry are FREE for you and anyone to enjoy at no cost.